5 Top Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Summer
Posted on May 30, 2016
- Lighten up the living room with new throw pillows
- Brighten the bedroom by changing the linens. This is easy to do. If you have a duvet, you can change the cover or you can fold it back at the end of the bed and show a lighter coverlet on top of the bed. You can also remove the heavier down duvets and store them away and leave a quilt or coverlet on the bed with a cool cotton blanket as a second layer. Natural materials like cotton and linen are great for summer weather. Organic is best!
- Add outdoor furniture. Whether you have a large back yard or a small patio, take advantage of the nice weather by making a comfortable place to sit outside. This could be a small bistro table for coffee in the morning and/ or a proper lounge area. Some of my favorites by Fermob are below.
- For your own comfort and to save energy, have your heating and cooling system serviced. Be sure everything is working properly before it gets too hot outside. Make sure your filters are changed on a regular basis and that you don’t have any leaks. This will help the quality of air in your home and the efficiency of your equipment.
- Get clean. Getting the house ready for summer also should include cleaning windows (with all that beautiful sunlight streaming in you don’t want to be distracted by dirty windows). If you have drapery, this is also a good time to get them cleaned, as well as carpets and upholstery. For those who suffer from allergies, this often helps alleviate symptoms, too.
- Another tip: Make a great all-purpose and natural window cleaner by combining 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon liquid soap or detergent, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake to blend and spray on your windows!
I hope you found these tips useful. You would be surprised by how some small changes in your home accents and a little maintenance, can make your home a happy, healthy one.